Winter Sets at Klondike ParkAdd to Cart Add to Lightbox Download
Once the site of a silica sand quarry, Klondike Park is a glowing example of nature's resiliency. Located just off the Katy Trail, the 250-acre park is a popular destination for outdoor recreationalists, families, and youth activity groups. Natural and paved trails wind through tree-lined hillsides to offer a challenging ride or hike and spectacular views of wildlife, native plants, and the surrounding Missouri River Valley. An indoor conference center that may be rented for weddings, business meetings, and other group functions; three picnic shelters, camper cabins and tent camping sites; a fishing lake; a boat ramp for access to the Missouri River; and about 5 miles of paved or natural trail.
According to early records, the land upon which Klondike Park sits was originally owned by Wilhelm (William) Engelage, a farmer from Prussia. In 1898, the Tavern Rock Sand Company bought a portion of the property and began Klondike Quarry. The silica sand mined from this quarry was mixed with soda and limestone to create glass products. The top layer (from 8? to 18? was used to make amber glass because of its yellow, claystained color, while clear glass was made from the white sand found below 18 feet. Production reached its peak in 1945 when 233,420 tons of sand were exported from the quarry to meet war demands. The quarry was permanently closed in 1983.
- Winter Sets at Klondike Park.jpg
- Bill Tiepelman
- Image Size
- 5749x3825 / 12.1MB
- Contained in galleries
- Missouri, Augusta, Landscapes & Scenes, Klondike Park, Saint Charles County